If you are an Irish cream coffee fan, it is your lucky day! Our Hawaiian Irish Creme flavored coffee is back for a limited time. This 100% Kauai Coffee is made with natural flavoring and has all of the sweet, flavorful decadence of Irish cream coffee without added sugar, guilt, or whiskey! Just like a pot of gold under the rainbow, this flavor won’t last long. Order Hawaiian Irish Creme now and check out some of our favorite ways to prepare it below.
Traditional Irish Cream Coffee Recipe
There are many stories and legends about the origin of Irish cream coffee, but coffee cocktails have been a popular libation since the mid 19th century. French and Viennese coffee houses served coffee mixed with spirits and topped with whipped cream to patrons as early as the 1800s.
Some attribute the combination of Irish whiskey and coffee to Joseph Jackson, an Irish hotelier and bartender who served during World War II. Jackson, so the story goes, served coffee and whiskey to his comrades to keep them warm and alert on the battlefield.
Today, the most well-known Irish Cream coffee recipe combines Irish whiskey, coffee, and brown sugar that is topped with a layer of lightly whipped cream. This recipe is most often attributed to Joe Sheridan, head chef at the restaurant and coffee house inside the Foynes Airbase near Limerick, Ireland.
In the 1940s, Foynes was a hub for transatlantic travel and often entertained influential leaders and celebrities before departure. Legend has it; a flight encountered bad weather or mechanical trouble, had to turn back and land at Foynes, stranding the passengers for the evening. Sheridan felt terrible for the passengers and whipped up the sweet treat we know as Irish cream coffee today to ease their troubles. Here’s what you need to make the storied coffee cocktail at home.
Irish Cream Coffee Ingredients
- 100% Kauai Coffee Hawaiian Irish Creme (brewed strong)
- 5 oz. Irish Whiskey (Don’t like whiskey? Substitute Koloa Rum Kauai Coffee Rum instead!)
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 oz. lightly whipped cream
- Brew a strong cup of coffee and stir in the whiskey and sugar until dissolved and well combined.
- Lightly whip fresh heavy cream until the consistency is a little thicker than melted ice cream. Pour the lightly whipped cream over the back of a spoon onto the hot coffee, serve and enjoy!
Hawaiian Irish Creme Frappé
Last year at about this time, the internet exploded with the viral whipped coffee sensation known as the dalgona coffee. We’re revisiting that online sensation with a Hawaiian Irish Creme twist! Try this easy frappé recipe for a delicious, creamy, non-alcoholic treat you can enjoy at home or on the beach!
- 4 oz. 100% Kauai Coffee Hawaiian Irish Cream coffee (brewed strong and cooled)
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 1 cup milk, cold frothed or shaken until foamy
- Sweetener to taste (optional)
- 1 handful of ice for shaking and serving
- Use an electric milk frother on the cold setting or a blender to whip milk into a frothy consistency and set aside.
- In a cocktail shaker or glass jar with a tight-fitting lid, add ice, cooled Kauai Coffee, instant coffee crystals, and optional sweetener.
- Close the lid and shake the coffee and ice mixture until its volume doubles in size.
- Fill a glass with ice, pour in coffee frappé from the shaker and top with frothy milk. Stir and enjoy!