Summer is here and so is cold brew coffee-sipping weather! As temperatures soar, there is nothing more refreshing than Hawaiian cold-brewed coffee to cool down. We love cold brewed coffee so much we created a unique 100% Kauai Coffee perfect for cold brewing. So, skip the line at your local coffee shop and use this specially crafted, coarse-ground bean or any of your favorite Kauai Coffee to make a big batch at home. Then enjoy a cup topped with creamy lilikoi (passion fruit) cold foam for a tropical treat you can’t beat!
What is Cold Brew Coffee
Cold brew coffee is made by steeping grounds in cold water for 12-24 hours. You can make cold brew from any coffee bean or roast, but a medium coarse grind is preferred for best results. If you plan to serve your cold brew coffee with dairy or non-dairy creamer, you might select a dark roast to balance the sweetness of the milk. On the other hand, if you prefer your cold brew without creamer or sweeteners, a medium roast may be the right choice for you. Experimenting with your favorite beans, roasts, and flavors is what makes learning how to cold brew coffee enjoyable!
How is Cold Brew Different from Iced Coffee?
Cold brew coffee and iced coffee are made using different brewing methods. Iced coffee is brewed with hot water, cooled, and then served over ice. Brewing the same coffee with hot or cold methods will result in different flavors and mouthfeel because the chemical compounds that make up the flavors and aromas of coffee are water-soluble at different temperatures and times.
Coffee brewed with water around 200 degrees Fahrenheit tends to be more acidic than cold brew coffee and may have bright, fruit-forward flavors because those flavor compounds are more easily extracted with hot water. Cold brew coffee is less acidic, and therefore the same beans brewed this way may reveal notes of chocolate, spice, or nuts. Cold Brew Coffee also uses a higher ratio of coffee to water, so the resulting coffee is relatively concentrated. Dilute cold brew with ice, water, milk, or your favorite coffee addition.
Kauai Coffee Cold Brew Coffee Recipe
Making 100% Kauai Coffee Cold Brew at home is easy! Follow these five steps.
- In a pitcher, combine a ratio of 3/4 cup of 100% Kauai Coffee Cold Brew or your favorite coarsely ground Kauai Coffee beans to every 25 oz. (3+ cups) of cold water.
- Stir the coffee and water to make sure all grounds are saturated, cover, and steep in the refrigerator for 12 to 16 hours. Tip: Make your cold brew before bed, and it will be ready in the morning!
- Line a strainer with a coffee filter or cheesecloth and place it over another pitcher or container.
- Slowly filter the cold brew coffee through the strainer into the container.
- Pour yourself a cup and enjoy! Tip: Cold brew coffee is concentrated. Serve over ice and dilute with your favorite creamer, milk, or sparkling water for a refreshing treat. Top with luscious lilikoi cold foam for a tropical twist!
Lilikoi Cold Foam Recipe
If you crave tropical citrus, mango, and pineapple flavors, then you will love lilikoi! Lilikoi is the Hawaiian word for passion fruit. Lilikoi grows abundantly in Hawaii and is popular for its tart, tangy, and tropical flavor. Use this recipe to create a luscious lilikoi cold foam you can use to top your cold brew coffee, fruit salads, or dessert! If you cannot find fresh lilikoi at a grocery store or specialty market near you, look for frozen passion fruit pulp in the freezer section.
For the lilikoi simple syrup
- 4 fresh lilikoi or 1/2 cup frozen passion fruit pulp
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups white sugar
For the cold foam
- 1/3 cup half and half
- 1 tablespoon lilikoi simple syrup
For the lilikoi simple syrup
- Cut fresh lilikoi in half, scoop out the pulp and set it aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine equal parts sugar and water and simmer over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Once sugar and water are combined, remove the mixture from the heat and add the lilikoi pulp.
- Let the pulp steep in the simple syrup for at least two hours.
- Carefully strain the simple syrup through a fine sieve or cheesecloth to remove the fruit solids and seeds.
- Store the lilikoi simple syrup in a glass jar in the fridge until you are ready to use it.
For the cold foam
- Pour half and half and 1 tablespoon of lilikoi simple syrup into a French press or sturdy container.
- Rapidly move the French press plunger up and down 15 to 30 times until the half and half reaches a light and foamy consistency. A handheld milk frother or hand mixer will also work to achieve a light and foamy consistency.
- Top your cold brew with lilikoi cold foam and enjoy!
More ways to enjoy Kauai Coffee Cold Brew
100% Kauai Coffee Cold Brew is available in single 10 oz. bags and in the Summer Blues gift set. Don’t wait to treat yourself or surprise someone you love with a refreshing and thoughtful gift. The Summer Blues gift set includes a 10 oz. bag of Cold Brew, Kauai Coffee beach towel and a reusable Kauai Coffee cup for cold and hot beverages!
Sign up for the Kauai Coffee newsletter and follow @KauaiCoffeeCo on social media for more recipes and ways to enjoy Kauai Coffee.